- Closed November 20092
- 11km north of Margaret River.
- Western Meat Processors, Director – F.E Lee3
- General Manager, J Mc Quillan2
- Processed Cattle1
- Employs 452
- Workers numbers 572
- Western Meat Processors begun operations at Cowaramup2
- March. Expansion worth $750,000, would provide increased slaughter throughput in late 2009.2
- November 16th. Closed due to plant where carcases were processed destroyed by fire and not other plants available to process meat.2
- O’Conner Meat factory4.
- Owned by Western Meat Packers, located in McNeece Place, O’Conner, established 27 years.
- Owner of O’Conner, Rod Russell also owned lamb processing plant in Osbourne park
- Employed 300 people.
- Fire was caused by an electrical fault in an exhaust system, caused $10M damage
- were processing 2000 head of cattle a week
- Staff undertook maintenance work until December, when facility was shut down entirely, future work in January would continue maintenance.2
- Licence issued 3rd February 2011to operate the works prescribed under the Environmental Protection Act. Issued for an extended period of 3 years5
- Licence #L8036/1993/5. File SWB2063.
- Category 15:Abattoir
- Category 55: Livestock saleyard or holding pen
- WAMIA Meat Processors 2013
- ‘Cowaramup abattir to remain closed’ Farm Weekly 10.12.09
- ‘Fire causes $10M damage to O’Conner meat factory’ Perth Now. 16.11.09.
- Environmental Protection Licence. Government of WA – Dept of Environment and conservation
- ‘Abattoir capacity in WA’. Letter by Terry Redman. Minister for Agriculture and Food. 18.03.09
Tagged: abattoir closure due to fire, abattoir closures, australian abattoir history, Australian Abattoirs, Australian meat processing facilities, Cowaramup abattoir, Western Australian abattoirs, Western Australian closed abattoir, Western Australian meat industry, Western Meat Processors
Leave a Reply