- Closed November 20092
- 11km north of Margaret River.
- Western Meat Processors, Director – F.E Lee3
- General Manager, J Mc Quillan2
- Processed Cattle1
- Employs 452
- Workers numbers 572
- Western Meat Processors begun operations at Cowaramup2
- March. Expansion worth $750,000, would provide increased slaughter throughput in late 2009.2
- November 16th. Closed due to plant where carcases were processed destroyed by fire and not other plants available to process meat.2
- O’Conner Meat factory4.
- Owned by Western Meat Packers, located in McNeece Place, O’Conner, established 27 years.
- Owner of O’Conner, Rod Russell also owned lamb processing plant in Osbourne park
- Employed 300 people.
- Fire was caused by an electrical fault in an exhaust system, caused $10M damage
- were processing 2000 head of cattle a week
- Staff undertook maintenance work until December, when facility was shut down entirely, future work in January would continue maintenance.2
- Licence issued 3rd February 2011to operate the works prescribed under the Environmental Protection Act. Issued for an extended period of 3 years5
- Licence #L8036/1993/5. File SWB2063.
- Category 15:Abattoir
- Category 55: Livestock saleyard or holding pen
- WAMIA Meat Processors 2013
- ‘Cowaramup abattir to remain closed’ Farm Weekly 10.12.09
- ‘Fire causes $10M damage to O’Conner meat factory’ Perth Now. 16.11.09.
- Environmental Protection Licence. Government of WA – Dept of Environment and conservation
- ‘Abattoir capacity in WA’. Letter by Terry Redman. Minister for Agriculture and Food. 18.03.09