Julia Creek is 1 of 10 sites included in a study looking at the potential location of a new meat processing facility in Northern QLD.
- Proposal put forward for development of an abattoir near Julia Creek May 20151
- Julia Creek is located in North West QLD, 250km East of Mt Isa and 637km west of Townsville.
- Other Abattoirs in Australia that have previously operated, in current operation and proposed.
- Study was conducted to investigate the viability of a new meat processing facility in northern Outback QLD
- Compare alternative potential locations in the study zone, Charters Towers, Hughenden, Richmond, Julia Creek, Cloncurry, Mt Isa, Normanton, Winton, Longreach & Georgetown
Evaluating the commercial viability of a northern outback QLD meat processing facility – DAFF 2012
nwq-abattoir-investment opportunities 2012
As the information in the study was dated to 2010 the following charts are updated information to 2014
Chart 1. Live cattle exported from North Queensland ports.
Chart 2. Northern Territory sourced cattle exported to other states for sale, breeding, finishing and slaughter.
- May. McKinlay Shire Council will meet with potential investors to consider a proposal to build an abattoir1
- Facility would cost $80M, capable of processing 200,000 cattle per year1
- No investors had commited to the project yet1
- “We would hope that the Federal Government would talk to us and support us with this” McKinlay Mayor Belinda Murphy1
- Other QLD towns were also considering abattoir building possibilities – Hughenden and Charters Towers1
- Generally accepted that while there was great potential for a new abattoir in North QLD, there was not enough demand for a second one.1
Tagged: abattoir, potential abattoir sites, proposed abattoir, Proposed abattoirs in Queensland
Leave a Reply