Julia Creek is 1 of 10 sites included in a study looking at the potential location of a new meat processing facility in Northern QLD.
- Proposal put forward for development of an abattoir near Julia Creek May 20151
- Julia Creek is located in North West QLD, 250km East of Mt Isa and 637km west of Townsville.
- Other Abattoirs in Australia that have previously operated, in current operation and proposed.
- Study was conducted to investigate the viability of a new meat processing facility in northern Outback QLD
- Compare alternative potential locations in the study zone, Charters Towers, Hughenden, Richmond, Julia Creek, Cloncurry, Mt Isa, Normanton, Winton, Longreach & Georgetown
Chart 2. Northern Territory sourced cattle exported to other states for sale, breeding, finishing and slaughter.
- May. McKinlay Shire Council will meet with potential investors to consider a proposal to build an abattoir1
- Facility would cost $80M, capable of processing 200,000 cattle per year1
- No investors had commited to the project yet1
- “We would hope that the Federal Government would talk to us and support us with this” McKinlay Mayor Belinda Murphy1
- Other QLD towns were also considering abattoir building possibilities – Hughenden and Charters Towers1
- Generally accepted that while there was great potential for a new abattoir in North QLD, there was not enough demand for a second one.1