Located 200km east of Sydney, Privately owned facility that was shut for a period due to a business deal. Re-opened in 2014 targeting Asian market preferences in Sydney.
- Is currently operating in 2014.
- Oberon is approximately 200km east of Sydney, on the western side of the Great dividing range.
- Privately owned.2
- Manager Andrew McLeod.2
- Central West NSW used to have 11 abattoirs, it now has 4.1
- Currently 29 licensed red meat abattoirs in NSW1
- down by 30% from a decade ago1
- February. Abattoir re-started2
- Had been closed for last 2 1/2 years due to sour business deal2
- Will fill demand for Asian style processing of smaller stock2
- processing goats, lambs, deer and beef2
- Chinese prefer a skin-on burnt2
- Processed through a hot tub, hair is beaten off and skin stays on, then hair is burnt off and gives a crisp golden colour2
- large market demand in Sydney2
- Currently employing 16 people2
- intentions to employ up to 402
- Abattoir industry in a disastrous state. ABC rural. 16.02.2010
- ‘Oberon abattoir back in operation’ ABC rural. 24.02.14
Tagged: Abattoir history, Abattoirs in Australia, abattoirs in sydney area, abattoirs operating timelines, australian abattoir history, Australian co-operative abattoir, Australian meat processing, Australian meat processing facilities, NSW abattoir, NSW abattoirs, NSW meat processing, NSW meat processing facilities, oberon abattoir