- Demolished 1968. New abattoir built Alice Springs #2 (Ghan Rd)
- North of The Gap, South of Gap view Motel. Area is now a grassed reserve.
Source – National Archives – Dated 1958
- 1st abattoir- The Gap
- Built by army2.
- South Australian Government undertake building a telegraph line from Adelaide to Darwin to link with the international system coming from the Far East4.
- March 11. A gap is found through the MacDonnell Ranges, Area now called Alice Springs4.
- First Pastoral lease of the Alice Springs area is granted4.
- Undoolya station, Aboriginal meaning ‘Shadow’
- Abattoir was built by the army and handed to government administration after the war5
- Central Australian Pastoral lessees Association approach Commonwealth government to establish a meat works in Alice Springs3
- Alice Springs butchers apply for increase in price of all meat to cover increased government fees of slaughter and inspection charges conducted at the abattoir5
- Old fees. Inspection 1/6, slaughtering 3/65
- New fees. Inspection 5/-, slaughtering 33/65
- Sheep and Goats
- Old fees. Inspection 6d, slaughtering 33/65
- New fees Inspection 1/6, slaughtering 6/65
- Old fees. Inspection 9d, slaughtering 1/95
- New fees. Inspection 2/-, slaughtering 15/65
- Increases amount to an extra £3,000 per year, 800% increase on previous rates5.
- Up to the 30/06/1954 following numbers of stock were slaughtered for local consumption5
- Cattle 788 head5
- Sheep 2,770 head5
- Pigs 381 head5
- Government had maintained the abattoir at a loss5
- employed one man full time to clean and maintain the facility5
- Stock inspector visited 3 times per week5
- Major drought in the region4
- Became the worst in history at the time, not breaking until 1966
Source. Alice Springs Library. Town Planning 1963
Town Planning map of 1963 showing the location of the Slaughter reserve in ‘The Gap’ area of Alice springs. Now the area is a grass reserve
- Major drought that began in 1960 is broken by one fall of 6″4
- further rains followed several weeks later
- Buildings sub standard and no longer met hygiene standards2
- Demolished and new abattoir site Ghan Road. Alice Springs #2.
- ‘$370,000 abattoir’ Centralian Advocate 23.03.68
- ‘Pastoralis want meat works here’ Centralian Advocate 29.07.1949
- ‘Pastoral Properties of Australia’ Peter Taylor 1984
- ‘Butchers hit by abattoir fee increase – apply for a price rise’ Centralian advocate 13.08.1954
Tagged: abattoirs in NT, Alice Springs abattoir, Alice springs meatworks, AMIEU, australian abattoir history, Australian Abattoirs, Australian meat processing, Closed Australian abattoirs, Historic Australian abattoir