Coonamble is located Northern NSW and closed in 2001 citing GST and crippling government charges. It is currently undergoing renovations for reopening in 2014.
- Is currently undergoing renovation to reopen in 2014
- Coonamble is about 230km direclty south of the NSW/QLD border, Large cities closest Tamworth 292km by road or Sydney 700km in a straight line South east.
Hema Maps – Australia Truckies atlas.
- Castlereagh – Bill Scott1
- Other directors John and Len Scott2
- 2012 – Nasser Beydoun
- Operated butcher shops in Coonamble.3
- Employed 52 workers.
- Scott Brothers took over operation of abattoir3
- May. Impending GST set to force sale or shutdown of abattoir2
- Under GST – Meat processors required to pay GST on all stock purchases and claim tax back as refund2.
- Problem is purchases need to be settled in 7 days and refunds not received for 2 months.2
- Coonamble would require $200,000 in additional interest chargesto cover GST in first month of reporting period, then another $400,000 while waiting for refund2
- represent a liability of $50 per head for owning a beast 24 hours.
- Martin Ferguson (Labor) claims GST was responsible for Coonamble closure1
- Bill Scott – owner – “Cause of closure lies squarely at the feet of the Carr Labor government”, he called “never ending regime of charges and regulations”1
- Government implemented pay roll tax, workers compensation changes and state departmental fees and charges – Bill scott identified as buisiness killers1
- July. Abattoir closed.
- Citing GST as catalyst and crippling state government costs3
- Works to be mothballed but maintained to export standards for immediate start up.3
- Operational costs in NSW higher than QLD.3
- Coonamble had been larges buyer of yearling cattle in NSW3
- On closure had 40 on last week payroll, and bought 1/3 of yarding at Coonamble sale3
- Offically closed.4
- Coonamble Shire Council commission a study which found the facility was a viable option.4
- Used results of study to attract an investor4
- June. Business sold to a Sydney Company4
- when reopened will employ 30 people4
- Produce Halal certified beef and lamb4
- buy livestock from North west NSW and southern QLD4
- refurbishment of abattoir currently 80% complete with opening expected in September4
- July new owners, Nasser Beydoun, owner, manages sodt drink and dip business, first foray into meat5
- Will start with 30 employees, number likely to grow5
- working with council to ensure meet licensing requirements5
- producer halal certified beef, lamb and goat meat5
- Require new boilers, cookers, doing up slaughter room, power is upgraded and have started work on fridges and cool room8
- Opening of an abattoir after being mothballed so long (11 years) is almost without precedent7
- Halal meat – growing metroplitan market8
- Expect to be opened January or February 20148
- New owners are buying houses for staff in town of Coonamble8
- Government’s upgrading program a loop line will be provided with new siding and loading area at Coonamble railway – is a good outcome for the abattoir operations9
- Oct. Shire talk of developments to date of abattoir’10
- 1 meat inspector position has been filled with another advertised10
- Owners notified council – sheep and cattle to be processed in one line10
- 17 points yet to be addressed prior to reinstatement of licence10
- Previous operations residents on the opposite side of the river had complained of odour10
- Consideration given to selling local sheep yards as they weren’t being used10
- sheep yards were part of saleyard enterprise10
- Sheep yards to remain11
- Nov Coonabarabran abattoir (NSW) (located 112km SE of Coonamble) closed6.
- Closed due to inability to recover from $190,000 fine for effluent spill & Owner had been diagnosed with leukaemia and unable to work6
- Mar. Meeting held with owners, still compliance and investment funding issues12
- ‘Ferguson wrong again on abattoir closure’ John Anderson Dpt Prime Minister Media release. 05.07.2000
- ‘Coonamble abattoir early GST victim’ Stock Journal 31.05.2000
- ‘State rules shut abattoir’ The Land 06.07.2000
- ‘Plans to reopen Coonamble abattoir’ ABC news 11.07.12
- ‘Prosperous future of Coonamble abattoir’ ABC news 12.07.12
- ‘Closed Coonabarabran abattoir up for sale’ The Northern Daily Leader 13.11.12
- ‘Coonamble plant to re-open’ Beef Central 08.11.13
- ‘Coonamble abattoir reopening to create local jobs’ ABC news. 29.07.13
- Coonamble shire council meeing minutes 11.07.12
- Coonamble shire council meeting minutes 10.10.12
- Coonamble shire council Ordinary meeting 12.12.12
- Coonamble Shire council. Business paper 15.05.13
Tagged: abattoir closures, abattoir government costs, abattoir government regulations, Abattoir history, Abattoirs in Australia, abattoirs operating timelines, australian abattoir history, Australian meat processing, Australian meat processing facilities, Closed Australian abattoirs, Coonamble abattoir, effects of government costs, Government charges on abattoirs, NSW abattoirs